Monday, October 5, 2009

Poe & Pumpkin

So far so good... I've been able to do something Halloween-y every day so far. Although yesterday might be stretching it a bit, but who cares. LOL

Oct 4 - was our homeschool groups's picnic. I usually do a NBTS picnic sometime the end of August or beginning of September, but with the move this year I just didn't get to plan it. So the owner of our homeschool group suggested a picnic where the newer members can join in, plus dads. So it was sort of a combined picnic.

As for what I did Halloween-like yesterday, I ate "poison" brownies one mom brought. We had a lovely day outside with friends and enjoyed the crisp Fall air. And I even ate some candy corn last night. ;)

Oct 5 - Today I took 2 frames I had that I really didn't like the color of and sanded them down and repainted them black. I just used some acrylic craft paint as I didn't want them to look glossy like spray paint looks. I had printed a picture of Egdar Allan Poe in black and white, made a mat and then placed both into one of the frames. Then I added 2 googly eyes. :) It looks pretty cool.



And here is the pumpkin roll recipe I use every year. You can see pictures of one we made last year here: Pumpkin Rolls

Cake:
2/3 Cup Pumpkin (we use the pumpkin pie filling because it has more seasoning to it)
3 eggs
1 Cup sugar
3/4 Cup flour
1tsp each salt, baking soda, and cinnamon

Line cookie sheet with wax paper, spray with Pam. Combine all ingredients, spread evenly on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

Let cool about 5 minutes or so, then cover with a dish towel, flip cake onto towel & remove cookie sheet and was paper. Sprinkle well with powdered sugar, roll up (in towel) and put in the freezer to cool completely.

Filling:
8oz cream cheese
2 TBS butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 Cup powdered sugar
1 whole tub (8oz) cool whip

Cream together. Unroll cake, sprinkle again with powdered sugar & spread filling over cooled cake. Roll (sprinkle more powdered sugar on the outside of the roll while rolling, to help from tearing) and wrap in foil.

2 comments:

Jessica - Magical Mundane said...

Oh thanks Jodi! I am going to give this one a try. Cross your fingers for me that I don't make as much of a mess with this version LOL

Tammie Lee said...

It sounds like you are having a wonderful season. This recipe sounds divine, thanks for sharing it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails